Understand Amazon's FBA Packaging
Following Amazon's packaging criteria is crucial when selling products through FBA since it influences how Amazon receives and processes your inventory. If you don't package and prep your products according to Amazon's specifications, they may refuse or return your inventory. They may also charge you extra or prevent you from shipping to Amazon fulfillment centers.
This page explains Amazon's FBA packaging regulations to help sellers comply and avoid TOS violations.
Amazon FBA packaging requirements
Understanding Amazon's FBA packaging and prep requirements is important before shipping or having your supplier package your products. This section covers FBA shipping prep, labeling, and packaging. Incorrectly prepped or labeled products may incur a preparation cost.
- FBA product barcode needs
FBA employs barcodes to track and identify sellers' merchandise during fulfillment. Amazon recognizes your seller account products using barcodes. Each Amazon fulfillment center unit must have a barcode. Amazon tracks inventories with manufacturers and Amazon barcodes (FNSKUs).
- Manufacturer barcodes
Amazon defaults to a manufacturer barcode like a UPC until you alter your barcode settings to Amazon. Amazon may also fulfill orders using the inventory nearest to the buyer if many sellers use the same manufacturer's barcode. Use Amazon barcode labels on your items if you're an arbitrage or wholesale reseller to avoid mixing inventory.
The FNSKU (Amazon barcode) tells Amazon that those units belong to your seller account.
Amazon barcodes (FNSKU) must be used for products without manufacturer barcodes. You can print and label barcodes on each item yourself (during FBA shipment production), have your supplier put them on your product packaging, or have Amazon label them for a fee.
You can place an application for a GTIN Exemption in Seller Central to utilize the Amazon barcode for products without manufacturer barcodes.
General packaging requirements
Amazon has general FBA packaging guidelines:
- FNSKUs must be unique and represent one product per unit. The FNSKU must be different for every assortment type, such as size or color.
- Each unit must have an immediately accessible outside barcode or label with human-readable numbers. FBA product barcode requirements also include further details.
- Barcodes on shipment boxes should be removed, covered, or rendered unreadable. Cover existing barcodes with opaque tape or a black felt-tip marker to make them unreadable. It also avoids scanning the wrong barcode on the receipt.
The barcode area requires all Amazon FBA product boxes to have a scannable barcode that links them to the seller account. Amazon also has distinct packaging requirements. The following section will discuss various kinds of FBA packaging guidelines.
- Products loss
One safe package must hold each product submitted to Amazon. You must bag or secure unpackaged items with quick-release tape. The barcode must be scannable without bags or tape. Shoe boxes or poly bags with suffocation warnings must also contain no shoe material.
- Polybagged items
mylar bags with a 5-inch aperture (measured flat) or bigger must have a suffocation warning printed or labeled. Not applying a suffocation warning may also result in re-bagging.
- Bag thickness must be at least 1.5 mils (thousandth of an inch)
- The poly bag must be translucent.
- The poly bag must also include a scannable barcode (e.g., UPC or EAN) X00-label, or an X00- or ASIN label on the exterior.
- These poly bags must also be completely sealed.
- This poly bag or shrink wrap should not exceed 3 inches beyond the product measurements.
- You must pack adult items in black, opaque poly bagging, or shrink wrap.
- Sold as set
A set of six toothpaste tubes sold as one unit must be labeled as a set. Label the unit to indicate that the products are to be received and sold together. Example: “Sold as set,” “Ready to ship,” or “This is a set. Do not split.”
For bundled sets, it is important to hide unit barcodes. The bundle set should have a unique FNSKU barcode to indicate to Amazon that it is a set. It also ensures fulfillment center associates scan the pack barcode, not the unit barcodes.
- Boxed Units
If you offer granola bars in boxes, they must have six sides, difficult-to-open openings, and not collapse when medium pressure is given to any side. The product must also pass a 3-foot drop test if the packaging has perforated sides or apertures. The unit must be polybagged if it fails.
- Bubble wrap
Bubble wrap may be necessary for fragile or heavy objects to prevent damage during transit. Wrapping a fragile item in bubble wrap or a six-sided box is essential to prevent exposure. Products utilizing bubble wrap must meet these standards:
- The products must be well wrapped and taped shut to prevent loss.
- It should also have a scannable barcode on the outside and pass a 3-foot drop test on a hard surface without breaking.
FBA inbound shipment needs
display Packing your units into a shipping box for FBA requires these steps:
- The first stage in FBA shipping is box content information. Amazon must know what products you're sending, how many, and how many per shipping package.
- Before delivering your items to Amazon FBA, be sure your supplier understands Amazon's packaging and labeling standards.
Instructions about packaging shipments
Follow Amazon's guidelines to guarantee packages arrive unharmed and ready for fulfillment facilities.
- Use a six-sided and rigid box with unbroken flaps.
- Use a single address label with clear delivery and return details.
- Each box in the shipment needs a unique FBA Box ID label printed from your Shipping Queue.
- Each pallet needs four FBA Pallet ID labels, one on each side of the top center.
- For each pallet box, a unique FBA Box ID label is needed. When shipping numerous case packs in a bigger box, affix the label to the outside of the primary box.
- Remove any previous shipping labels, barcodes, or markings to reuse boxes.
- Cover existing barcodes using opaque tape or use a black felt-tip marker to cross out the barcode, making it unreadable. This avoids scanning the wrong barcode on the receipt.
- Identify and wrap each item separately.
- Use suitable packaging.
- Use shipping-specific strong tape.
- Add 2 inches of cushioning between objects and the box interior.
- Gently shake your box after packing. Shaking should not move the contents.
- Boxes of at least 6 x 4 x 1 inches and 1 lb weight can reduce receiving delays.
- Boxes cannot exceed these sizes and weight limits: No more than 25 inches on each side and 50 lbs total unless the shipment contains an enormous item. The Box Dimensions and Box Weight sections below provide box criteria.
Amazon has proper instructions for FBA packaging. Thus, all sellers need to follow these instructions. Amazon will not accept any product that comes inside a common packaging. We have explained various requirements for product packaging that you can follow.
Why Purchase from Custom Boxes Only ?
In a world brimming with choices, selecting Cigar Boxes from us is a decision you'll never regret. Our unwavering commitment to quality and top-tier support sets us apart. Experience the difference and purchase Cigar Boxes with confidence today. Your satisfaction is our priority.